Read Your PG&E SmartMeterTM
In this step, you’ll learn how to go online and read your household daily energy usage from PG&E.
You first need a PG&E online account. If you don’t have one, Click here to register.
Now, follow the instructions to learn how to access your online PG&E SmartMeterTM data and find your daily energy data.
Now is where you actually take some action. The contest asks you to take the following three actions to reduce the energy you use at home.
- Replace incandescent light bulbs with CFL or LED bulbs. (More info...)
More info on CFL
More info on LED
- Switch off lights and appliances when not in use (you’ll need to do this and train the rest of your family to help out during the two weeks of reporting).
- Take one of the following actions below (if possible)
- Dry clothes on a line or inside instead of using a dryer.
- Unplug appliances that are not used often (2nd refrigerator, 2nd TV )
- Turn down the electric heating or cooling.
Record Your Daily Data Energy Usage
Now that you've taken some action, it's time to see whether that action made any difference! A couple of days after you have started making the changes in Step 3, check your energy usage again by logging into your SmartMeterTM account. You can either record your daily energy usage every day, or wait until the two weeks is over and record the data all at once on your form. Either way is fine, but you might be interested to check back often and see how you are doing! .
Also, remember that anything you can do to reduce your household energy use during your two-week recording period will be tracked and recorded in your contest submission.
Note that sometimes, the weather changes or you might have guests in your home that can change how much energy is used. Don’t worry, just do your best!