After a man excitedly turns on his new leaf blower, things get a little out of control.
So, what are the pros and cons of gas-powered leaf blowers?
Pros : They can save people time doing yard/garden cleanup, but...
- they use gasoline to operate
- require maintenance
- produce A LOT of noise pollution
- produce combustion smell
- remove topsoil from the ground leaving roots of trees exposed
- lift up dirt that can get into people's eyes, mouths and noses
- release air pollutant that affect people's respiratory systems
- can cause back and hearing problems to their users.
What are the Green Ninja action moves?
Turning off the leaf blower: This is an important step.
Applying mulch: Mulch protects exposed roots of trees, improves water retention of the soil, prevents the growth of weeds, and provides decomposers with food so there is more organic matter (link) available for the tree and other plants around it.
Using a rake: This is the best alternative for smaller areas (like a house backyard), and it is a lot more economical to purchase and operate.
Director: Emily Chen
Producer: Lauren Brown
Story: Aden Scott
Visual Development: Erin Schleupner
Music: Christopher Cunningham
Head of Animation: Michelle Ikemoto
Sound Design: Christopher Cunningham and Steve Erickson